Breaking News
Nga Kor Ming says Malaysia’s rise in trust rankings reflects growing confidence in the country
KUALA LUMPUR, May 22 — Malaysia’s ranking as the seventh most trusted nation globally under the
...Selangor Sultan calls for continued focus on rakyat’s well-being amid global crisis
KUALA LUMPUR, May 22 — The Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, has called on
...Sultan Ibrahim receives Bernama coffee table book documenting his journey as King
KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 — His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim, King of Malaysia, consented to receive a
...Hazmat team contains chemical spill at Alor Gajah resort after pool treatment accident
ALOR GAJAH, May 18 — The Melaka Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) successfully contained a chemical
...PM announces govt raising Mitra allocation to RM150m
KUALA LUMPUR, May 11 — The government has agreed to increase the allocation to the Malaysian
...Kedah Sultan’s birthday moved from June 21 to July 5, public holiday changed
ALOR SETAR, May 7 — The official birthday celebration of the Sultan of Kedah Al Aminul
...
Tropical Storm Senyar kills one, topples 49 trees across five Malaysian states
MELAKA, Nov 28 — Tropical storm Senyar that hit several states since midnight last night caused 49 cases of fallen trees and also claimed one life in an early morning incident on Jalan Selandar-Machap, here.
Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) director-general Datuk Seri Nor Hisham Mohammad said that although the death was not directly caused by the storm, the fatal accident involving a motorcyclist occurred after the victim hit a fallen tree which toppled due to the force of the storm.
He said also reported was the incident of a structural collapse at the Petron Diesel Jetty in Port Dickson involving eight workers at the location.
“So far, Negeri Sembilan has recorded the worst impact, including one incident of slope collapse and structural collapse each, in addition to two cases of flooding.
“The state also recorded 33 cases of fallen trees, followed by Melaka (8 cases), Selangor (5), Putrajaya (2) and Perak (1), while Kuala Lumpur, despite being in the storm’s range, did not record any incidents,” he said at a press conference after the JBPM Integrity Day Celebration Ceremony in Ayer Keroh, today.
He said that although the Senyar storm had weakened to the storm category, JBPM remained on alert due to the possibility of a surge in cases of fallen trees and slope collapses following the ground becoming soft due to continuous rain.
Nor Hisham also advised non-governmental organisations (NGOs) providing assistance to flood victims to coordinate with the Disaster Operations Control Centre (PKOB) to ensure safe monitoring can be carried out.
“We celebrate the role of NGOs and individuals in assisting with evacuation and logistics delivery, but they must inform PKOB in addition to wearing a safety vest.
“We are concerned that the intention to help may invite other risks. At the same time, the public is also advised not to visit risky areas including recreational locations for bathing,” he said.

