Thailand: Two activists released after spending five days in jail

Thailand: Two activists released after spending five days in jail

BANGKOK: Two Thai activists, who were arrested for breaching their bails last month, were released on Monday after police told the court that they had no grounds to detain them.

Human rights lawyer, Anon Nampa, 35, and student activist Panupong Jadnok, 24, were released late evening on Monday after spending five days in Bangkok Remand Prison.

Bangkok’s Criminal Court said the police told the court to cancel their detention request following a reasonable investigation into their conduct while on bail.

“There was no need to detain them further,” the court said in a statement.

Anon and Panupong have participated in a series of student-led anti-government protests that have taken place almost daily since July 18 that called for the dissolution of parliament, ending of harassment against government critics, and rewriting of the constitution.

They were sent to Bangkok Remand Prison last Thursday after the Bangkok Criminal Court ruled that the duo violated the terms of their release.

The pair were among dozens of anti-government protesters, including student leaders, charged with sedition and breaching restrictions on public gatherings.

In a message on his Facebook after his release, Anon said their fight continues.

He said he will participate in a protest plan by a student group on September 19.

Last week, Amnesty International urged its members and supporters around the world to write to Thailand’s Prime Minister, General Prayuth Chan o-cha, to drop the charges against 31 protest leaders of the July 18 rally at Bangkok’s Democracy Monument.

The London-based rights organisation also urged the relevant authorities to stop obstructing people from taking part in public gatherings to criticise the government.

The campaign will continue until October 21.

Yesterday, Thailand’s Foreign Ministry and Royal Thai Police issued statements rebutting the rights group’s claim that it has restricted people’s freedom of expression, reported Bangkok Post.