No cabinet reshuffle, Dr Mahathir clears the air, denying rumours

No cabinet reshuffle, Dr Mahathir clears the air, denying rumours

PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad reiterated in strong terms today that he will not reshuffle his Cabinet, even after one year of Pakatan Harapan’s (PH) administration.

In a group interview ahead of the coalition’s anniversary of its electoral victory on May 9, the prime minister indicated that he is fairly satisfied with his Cabinet’s performance.

“There will be no Cabinet reshuffle, am I clear?” Dr Mahathir told the media, after he was asked to clarify whether such a move will ever happen.

Previously, he said his ministers were performing and that he saw no reason to restructure the Cabinet.

There were rumours of an imminent reshuffle on May 1 as all cabinet ministers had a long meeting session with the prime minister on that afternoon.

According to the rumour, Education Minister Dr Maszlee Malik and Tourism and Culture Minister Mohammadin Ketapi were among those facing the chop board.

Previously, Dr Mahathir also had to come out and deny rumours of a Cabinet reshuffle in February after a blog post claimed he would appoint Datuk Seri Azmin Ali as deputy prime minister in a bid to strengthen the latter’s position.

Dr Mahathir has consistently denied by saying he would only consider a reshuffle if all Pakatan Harapan components were in agreement.

GLOBAL AGRITECH SUMMIT