Najib exhausted legal options to delay his 1MDB options and failed…

Najib exhausted legal options to delay his 1MDB options and failed…

PUTRAJAYA: Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak exhausted all his legal options after the Federal Court ruled against his appeal to postpone his 1Malaysia Development Berhad hearing until after the SRC International trial is completed.

A five-judge bench chaired by Chief Justice of Malaysia Datuk Seri Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat dismissed Najib’s bid.  They were unanimous in upholding the appellate court decision that favored the hearing to be heard from 19 Aug.

“We agree with the Court of Appeal that there was no error in its judgement,” Tengku Maimun said.

“The learned High Court judge also did not commit any error in the exercise of his discretion.

“There is no reason for intervention by the Bench to give a direction to the High Court

Attorney General Tommy Thomas also withdrew his appeal on grounds that the prosecution was at the “tail end” of its case in the SRC International trial and was confident of closing its case on the last allotted date of the trial on August 16.

He also said the 1MDB trial could technically begin on August 28, precisely 14 days after the witness statements are served to the defence as required under Section 402b of the Criminal Procedure Code.

High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah previously allocated August 19 to 29, the entire of September and October except for Fridays, and the first two weeks of November to hear Najib’s 1MDB trial.

Najib is currently facing seven charges of criminal breach of trust, money laundering and power abuse involving RM42 million from former 1MDB subsidiary, SRC International.

GLOBAL AGRITECH SUMMIT

Tags assigned to this article:
1MDBNajibSRC International