Warning: Constants may only evaluate to scalar values in /home/thelead1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7-simple-recaptcha/includes/languages.php on line 74
Melaka polls: Nomination process begins under new norms - The Leaders Online

Melaka polls: Nomination process begins under new norms

Melaka polls: Nomination process begins under new norms

MELAKA: The 15th Melaka state election process begins today with candidates’ nominations being held in new norms at 28 nomination centres across the state.

All the centres are opened at 9am.

The nomination process also sees strict standard operating procedures being implemented by the Election Commission (EC) to curb the spread of Covid-19.

So far, five parties, namely Barisan Nasional (BN), Perikatan Nasional (PN), Pakatan Harapan (PH), Parti Bumiputera Perkasa Malaysia (Putra), and Parti Perikatan India Muslim Nasional (IMAN), as well as one independent candidate had announced their intention to contest.

Ninety-one candidates are expected to submit their nomination papers before the centres close at 10am.

Unlike previously, the nomination process this time will see no supporter procession and only the candidates, their proposers and seconders are allowed to enter the nomination centre to submit the nomination papers.

Once the nomination process is completed, the returning officer will declare the candidates eligible to contest.

Meanwhile, the weather here is sunny and favourable although earlier the Malaysian Meteorological Department had forecast rainy weather in one or two places this morning in all three districts, namely Alor Gajah, Melaka Tengah, and Jasin.

The EC has set Nov 20 as the polling date for the Melaka state election and early voting on Nov 16, following the dissolution of the state legislative assembly on Oct 4 after four assemblymen withdrew support for the leadership of Chief Minister Datuk Seri Sulaiman Md Ali.

Melaka has 28 state constituencies, with a total of 495,196 registered voters, 240,530 or 48.57 per cent of  whom are men and the remaining 254,666 or 51.43 per cent women. — Bernama