Breaking News
PM announces govt raising Mitra allocation to RM150m
KUALA LUMPUR, May 11 — The government has agreed to increase the allocation to the Malaysian
...Kedah Sultan’s birthday moved from June 21 to July 5, public holiday changed
ALOR SETAR, May 7 — The official birthday celebration of the Sultan of Kedah Al Aminul
...Johor MB quashes rumours of state assembly dissolution today
ISKANDAR PUTERI, May 7 — Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi has quashed rumours that
...Sarawak to conduct cloud seeding over key dams to boost water supply
KUCHING, May 5 — The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) will conduct cloud seeding operations in Sarawak
...N. Sembilan Umno bloc withdraws support for MB Aminuddin Harun, claims loss of confidence
KUALA LUMPUR, April 27 — Negeri Sembilan Umno chairman Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias said all 14
...Witness recounts deadly Ulu Tiram police station attack
KUALA LUMPUR, April 9 — A police corporal in the Ulu Tiram police station attack case
...
Energy Ministry announces surcharge cut for non-domestic industrial electricity users
PUTRAJAYA, June 23 — Non-domestic industrial users of electricity will see a surcharge reduction from 20 sen per kilowatt hour (kWh) to 17 sen starting July until December this year, the Natural Resources, Environment and Climate Change (NRECC) Ministry announced today.
Its senior undersecretary in charge of electricity supply Mareena Mahpudz told the media in a briefing on new tariffs that this should cause an estimated reduction of between 28 to 35 per cent in their monthly electricity bills.
She expressed hope that this measure could reduce the squeeze of inflation on the public.Besides that, Mareena said that the ministry has agreed to provide aid to state water and sewerage operators by reducing their imbalance cost pass-through (ICPT) surcharge from 20 sen per kWh to 3.7 sen per kWh.
The electricity tariff adjustments were part of the government’s move towards targeted subsidies to ensure that the assistance was received by groups who needed it the most, she said.
In the same briefing, the ministry also announced that the top 1 per cent of electricity users in the country will pay a higher tariff between July and December this year. It said the new ICPT mechanism will see around 83,000 users paying at least RM187 more per month.
In March, national news agency Bernama reported NRECC minister Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad as saying that the government had allocated RM10.76 billion to cover electricity bill subsidies for domestic consumers and non-domestic consumers in the low voltage category for the period of January 1 to June 30 of this year.
Nik Nazmi previously said the cost of ICPT for the period from July to December 2022 was RM16.16 billion, equivalent to a surcharge rate of 27 sen/kWh which should be imposed on all users for the period from January to June 2023.

