Eleven-year-old boy narrow escape after tablet explodes

Eleven-year-old boy narrow escape after tablet explodes

It was nothing short of a narrow escape for an eleven-year-old boy as a tablet charging near him burnt a hole in the mattress.

An eleven-year-old boy had a narrow escape after his tablet burnt a hole in the mattress of the bed that he was sleeping on, inches away from him. The tablet was put on charge and kept on the bed. Mirror reports that Callum Hewkin from Burntwood, England, had plugged the tablet with its charger for around nine hours in his room all through the night.

After he woke up, Callum found that the tablet was stuck to his mattress and had burnt a hole beneath it. His room was filled with smoke and firefighters, as per Mirror, said that a fire could have started if the situation was neglected for another ten minutes.

While speaking to Mirror, Callum’s father Stewart Hewkin said that he wasn’t aware of the fact that the tablet was with his son in his room.

“We’d no idea he had it in his room. When I came down at 7am, I could smell burning. The next minute my wife was screaming to come upstairs. There was a big burn mark right by where Callum’s head had been, and the room was full of white smoke. We feel we have had a lucky escape. His life could have been at risk,” Stewart Hewkin said, Mirror reports.

The tablet was purchased four years ago. Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service issued a warning on their website after the incident. “Always place phones and tablets on to a safe surface when charging.

Make sure you buy genuine chargers for your items and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Be sure to register your product in case there is a product recall,” CSO and Firefighter Brad Robins said in a report published on their website.


Tags assigned to this article:
boy narrow escapeeleven year oldtablet explodes