COVID-19: Sabah screens 65.6% of Pulau Gaya residents

COVID-19: Sabah screens 65.6% of Pulau Gaya residents

KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Health Department has screened about 65.6% of Pulau Gaya residents near here, collecting 1,600 samples in a three-day COVID-19 control and prevention exercise which ended yesterday, said its director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi.

In a statement, she said the screening was conducted in collaboration with the National Security Council, the police, the Malaysian Armed Forces and the People’s Volunteer Corps (RELA).

The Sabah government, through its COVID-19 Command Centre, had earlier put an immediate stop to the movement of residents from the island to the mainland, and during the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) instituted by the Federal government to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

The order is in place from March 18 to April 14.

Dr Christina said the department would continue with efforts to increase public awareness and knowledge of COVID-19 through its 13 health promotion mobile units that make daily public announcements throughout the state.

“The public is also advised to obtain authentic information on COVID-19 through the official Facebook pages of the state’s health promotion unit and the Health Ministry or the ministry’s Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) telegram site,” she said.

A total of 809 people had been placed in quarantine centres throughout Sabah, with eight of them allowed to return home yesterday.

Dr Christina added that so far, 6,538 people had been placed under home quarantine. Of this number, 971 people had completed their 14-day quarantine.

Bernama