Penang Hill cable car hits 32pc completion; operations expected by late 2027

by Theleaders | August 21, 2026 3:33 pm

GEORGE TOWN, Aug 21 — The Penang Hill cable car project has reached 32 per cent completion and is expected to be physically finished by August next year, Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said today.

The state expects operations to commence in the final quarter of 2027.

Speaking during a monitoring visit from the Botanic Gardens to the summit of Penang Hill, Chow noted that the project has entered a more promising phase following the completion of all underground works. This progress includes the successful installation of the third tower.

“We expect the work to progress faster because above-ground construction is easier to control compared with underground works,” Chow said.

The underground phase has been very challenging, Chow said, as strict technical conditions and the rocky terrain of Penang Hill prohibited the use of heavy machinery, forcing contractors to rely on hand tools.

The RM367.2 million project, currently being implemented by Hartasuma Sdn Bhd, officially broke ground in January last year.

Chow stressed that the visible installation of the towers should reassure the public that the project is moving forward steadily despite initial delays.

Source URL: https://theleaders-online.com/penang-hill-cable-car-hits-32pc-completion-operations-expected-by-late-2027/